Today on the podcast I am chatting with Joel Vanderkooi.
Joel is the treasurer at Kellogg and has been with the company for over 25 years.
Today we chat about Joel’s career, FMCG companies and his advice for other treasurers.
On the episode:
- I ask Joel what brought him to the treasury department and how he chose to stay in it.
- I ask Joel what has kept him challenged and what has made him stay with Kellogg for so long.
- Joel talks about the different sectors within the business that he has worked and moving into treasury.
- I ask Joel about the differences between banking and treasury.
- We discuss FMCG companies and how the treasury department works within them.
- I ask Joel about the switch from banking to corporate and whether there were challenges.
- I ask Joel about his biggest achievements in his career.
- We talk about commodities and how they fit into Kellogg.
- I ask Joel what advice he would give to the younger generation of treasurers.
- I ask Joel about mentors and whether they have played a part in his career.
- We discuss networking and how Joel has approached it during his career.
- I ask Joel what he thinks makes a successful treasurer in the eyes of the CFO.
- We discuss risk management and the importance of it throughout your career.
- I ask Joel how he sees the role of the treasurer changing in the coming year with the introduction of more technology.
- Joel talks about the importance of your team and knowing that they are equipped with the knowledge around technology.